Maui is well known for its dream-like beaches and thriving forestry. This is why going green, or as Hawaiians say, “leaving only footprints,” is so necessary for the preservation of the land. During your next visit, consider implementing eco-friendly travel in Hawaii. With just a few thoughtful changes, you can help maintain the health of Maui’s beloved environment. Begin your trip by viewing our Vacation Guide to help you through your green journey!
Tips and Tricks for Eco-Friendly Travel in Hawaii
The Basics of Becoming Eco-Friendly
If you’re taking your first steps in “leaving only footprints,” here are a few simple tips to start you on the right path.
- Carry a reusable water bottle or mason jar! The best way to prevent plastics and other unwanted, nonbiodegradable substances from contaminating our beautiful beaches is to limit the use of these products.
- As you’re traveling around the island in search of adventure, becoming more eco-friendly is as easy as passing up a gas-guzzling boat tour for a hiking expedition. Make sure to stay on the path so as not to disturb the serene natural environment.
- Most Hawaii travel advice will tell you to thoroughly apply sunscreen during your visit! While this is sound guidance, turn over a new leaf by investing in non-toxic sunscreen. Rid yourself and the environment of harsh chemicals that are detrimental to the natural balance of our surroundings.
Ecotourism Excursions on Maui
Now that you have a few eco-friendly tricks under your belt, you can apply them on these guided expeditions that also stay true to green roots.
- Maui EcoTours is the perfect way to enjoy the gorgeous Maui landscape in a safe way. Book an outdoor sport like surfing, kayaking, or kiteboarding to experience the glistening blue waters without harming the underwater creatures that live beneath your gentle wake.
- Take a visit to Leilani Farm Sanctuary to see traditional Hawaiian respect for nature firsthand. This facility takes in animals originally set for slaughter and gives them a home. The setting will inspire you to make a difference and further appreciate Mother Nature.
Organic Food and Drink
There are plenty of organic treats to enjoy during your travels in Hawaii. Check out two of our favorite places to visit here on the island!
- Down to Earth is an excellent organic grocery store and deli on Maui. Shop green for tasty local snacks, or stop by for a full meal ranging from sandwiches to falafel! Down to Earth also offers cooking classes so you can delve deeper into the eco-friendly lifestyle.
- What could be better than appreciating the taste of organic vodka in the beautiful Hawaiian sunshine? A tour of the Ocean Vodka Distillery allows you to sample amazing local flavors and learn more about this solar-powered, pesticide-free facility.
Stay with Us at The Old Wailuku Inn
Make The Old Wailuku Inn at Ulupono your home base for eco-friendly travel in Hawaii. You’ll feel as if you’re in the treetops when you book the second-floor Mokihana Room, which features large windows level with lively green palms. After a night’s rest, join us for a breakfast filled with seasonal, local fruit picked fresh from our sustainable garden. It’s the perfect way to kickstart an eco-friendly stay!
Book now and begin your adventure on the vibrant island of Maui!